Tutorials

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Gift Of Remembering Names And Faces

In high school I realized I had the gift of remembering names and faces. Through the years many people have commented on this skill that I take for granted. I don't give it very much thought, but I was talking with someone about it yesterday and she told me how much it meant to her that I remembered her name.

A lot of us like to be greeted. A smile, a gesture or a nod is all it takes sometimes to make someones day. When you add a name to that greeting the experience is more memorable.

When I am introduced to someone I always really listen to their name and really focus on their face. If it is a name that is hard for me to pronounce or if I don't hear them very well I ask them to repeat it. That way I have heard their name at least twice. When we part company I close the conversation with their name. Afterwards I mentally focus on their name and visualize what their face looks like. The next time I see them I greet them by name and look at them directly. If I have forgotten their name I ask them to refresh my memory, and I once again make a mental note. The next time I always remember their name and face.

It is very important to me to remember names and faces. I want to greet others like I like to greeted. By name and a with a warm smile!

2 comments:

Mei Tan said...

Remembering names is my biggest problem. I will try out your tips.
Thanks for sharing.

Evie's Tool Emporium said...

You're welcome! Focusing only on the person you are meeting is the biggest tip! Look at their face and focus! It works! Let me know how it goes!
Michelle-