Tutorials

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Self Help

I read a quote by George Carlin today about self help that made me laugh!
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

I thought that was pretty funny, and then I paused for a moment to think about helping ourselves. I have been very lucky in my life to have had parents and mentors who have been there for me. They have guided me when I have needed it, but they have always given me the space to succeed or fail. And believe me I have had success, but I also know what failure feels like. There have been times in my life I wish someone would have stepped in and done something for me, but in the long run I am grateful they let me make my own choices.

I recognize the fact the I am accountable for my own actions and the decisions I have made along the way. I am motivated to find new ways to do things. I am sometimes afraid to try to do new things. For me it is best that I just jump in with both feet without thinking about it. That is when I have had my most satisfying experiences. When I stop, look around and then jump is when I have a tendency to fall.

I am very happy that I have had many people in my life like the saleswoman who have nudged me to help myself! They have also given me the ability to laugh at myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love George Carlin and I am a tool junkie...off to visit your shop.

Kim Caro said...

hehehe self help :)

id like to learn more about your father. i really am just living day to day... i dont know the bad effects of parkinsons. i mean i see it...but dont know how bad it can get.

circlesareforever@yahoo.com
if you have any good sites.
my dad had activa done.